Program Extension for J-1 Visiting Scholars
Departments who wish to extend the exchange program for a visiting scholar you are hosting must submit the necessary extension request documents to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) no later than one month before the end date of your exchange visitor’s DS-2019. After the program end date listed on the current DS-2019, an extension is no longer possible.
Changing Positions: If you are requesting to extend the Form DS-2019 for a scholar who is currently at UConn, but starting a different position, you must verify first with ISSS whether the exchange visitor will actually be able to extend their program based on this change. An exchange visitor’s program objective must be consistent throughout their entire stay, so changing positions may not be possible.
Paid Positions to Gratis Appointments: Your exchange visitor may not change from a paid position to a gratis appointment for the same position.
What to Submit:
UConn Departments must request J-1 program extension online in the UConn Scholar/Employee Portal, at least one month before DS-2019 program end date:
- Go to the UConn Scholar/Employee Portal
- Click on the UConn NetID Login button and login with NetID and password
- From your Dashboard click on the “Active Records” tab.
- Click on your scholar’s profile tile or if you have many scholars type their name (just one name first or last – the most unique) in the Search Box and click the magnifying glass to pull up their specific record.
- At the very top of the scholar record is a button that says “Extend Program”. In the pop up window that comes up answer the questions with the answers from the ISSS J-1 Scholar paper extension form filled out by faculty supervisor and department head. The questions are the same as what are on the paper form.
- In the document upload section browse and upload the following documents:
- Updated UConn offer letter
- Completed J-1 Visiting Scholar Extension Packet ISSS 915 – completed by the Faculty Sponsor and the Exchange Visitor
- Click “Create Request”
J-1 Scholar Instructions
The academic department at UConn will initiate the program extension request and will upload all extension paper work. After the department submits the program extension request, J-1 Scholars must submit the “Submit Insurance Documentation” and “Update Funding Documentation”(if not UConn-funded) requests in the UConn Scholar/Employee Portal. Work with your academic department to find out when they have submitted your extension request before submitting insurance/funding updates.
- Go to the UConn Scholar Employee Portal – UConn Scholar/Employee Portal
- Do NOT click UConn NetID button. Login in with personal email and password on main page. If you don’t remember password, click forgot your password link.
- From Scholar Profile home page Click on REQUEST tab or initiate request button.
- Click on “Submit Insurance Documentation” to begin insurance submission.
- Click on “Update Funding Documentation” to begin funding update (if not UConn-funded).
- Answer all questions and upload the necessary support documentation.
- If full funding is not provided by UConn, evidence of your exchange visitor’s ability to meet estimated expenses for the duration of the extension. This may include a letter from a scholarship provider or personal financial documents meeting the below criteria:
|J-1 Principal Only
|J-1 Principal and J-2 Spouse
|Each Additional Child
The financial support documents for self-supported individuals must meet the following criteria:
- No more than 3 months old;
- Must be in English (or must be able to identify the account balance, date of balance, bank name and account holder’s information) ;
- Must indicate specific fund amount;
- Must be liquid funds (checking and/or savings accounts); and
- If the support funding is from parents or a family member, please attach letter from him/her stating the willingness to sponsor, amount of funding and the duration of support, along with the sponsor’s bank statement.
ISSS will then determine eligibility for your Exchange Visitor’s program extension. If approved, an International Advisor at ISSS issue an updated Form DS-2019 with the extended completion date within 2 weeks after the submission date.