Study Requirements

Full-Time Study Requirements Reduced Course Load (Part-Time Study) Online Course Restrictions Academic Resources Summer TermTransfer Credits-Concurrent Enrollment

Full-Time Enrollment Requirements

To maintain your F-1/J-1 visa status, you must
  • study on a full time basis toward your program
  • finish your program by the program end date listed on your Form I-20/DS-2019
How many credits must I register for each semester?
Bachelor’s: 12 credits LLM/SJD: 9 credits
Master’s/PhD:  9 credits (without an assistantship) JD: 12 credits
 6 credits (with an assistantship) UCAELI: 22 hours/week
Exchange/non-degree:  12 credits (Bachelor’s), 9 credits (Master’s/PhD)

Online Courses

F-1 & J-1 Students: Only one online course (up to 3 credits) per semester may count towards meeting your minimum registration requirement. If it is your final semester and you only have one course remaining, it cannot be an online course unless you intend to finish your program outside of the U.S. or on a different visa type. Starting Fall 2023 courses listed as "In-Person", "Hybrid", or "by Arrangement" will count as in-person.  See the registrar's website for a complete listing of all course modalities.

Summer Term, Vacation Term, Summer Final Term

Required Enrollment in Summer: Summer term is usually considered a vacation term, unless your academic program requires summer enrollment or it is a students final term. There are only a small number of programs that require summer enrollment (MS Financial Risk Management, MS Athletic Training, MS Surgical Neurophysiology, Doctor of Physical Therapy).  If your program requires summer enrollment then you must otherwise follow the online course requirements for F-1 and J-1 visa holders (courses need to be primarily in-person). On-campus employment is restricted to 20 hours/week.

Summer Vacation Term: If your program does not require summer enrollment and you intend to enroll at UConn in fall term that follows summer, then summer is considered a vacation term.  Students may choose to enroll in summer courses (online or in-person).  Students may also choose not to study and travel during their vacation term.  Students are permitted to work more than 20 hours/week during vacation term.  See On-Campus Employment for more information.

Summer Final Term: If summer will be your last term and you will not enroll in classes fall term, then summer is not considered a vacation term.  Students enrolling in coursework will need to enroll in at least one in-person course and they need to enroll at UConn.  On-campus employment is restricted to 20 hours/week.


Part-Time Study - Reduced Course Load

International students must study full time each semester, unless they qualify to take a reduced course load.

Reduced Course Load for Last Semester
Eligibility: If you are in your final semester and you need less than full time credits to graduate.  If it is your final semester and you only have one course remaining, it cannot be an online course unless you intend to finish your program outside of the U.S. or on a different visa type. 

Deadline: Submit by the first day of the semester you are graduating. Upload a copy of your enrollment verification with your request.

Reduced Course Load for Academic Difficulties or Medical Reasons
Eligibility based on academic difficulty: You are in your first year of study and have never taken a reduced course load for academic difficulty at the same degree level. Reasons for academic difficulty must be based on initial difficulties with English language, reading requirements, unfamiliarity with U.S. teaching methods or improper course level placement.

Eligibility based on medical reasons: Documented physical or mental health issue confirmed by a letter from an M.D., D.O. or licensed clinical psychologist.

Deadline to apply: Before you drop below full time enrollment. You must also make an appointment with your ISSS advisor before we can approve your request.

Transfer Credits - Concurrent Enrollment

International students with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 from UConn are required to study full-time at UConn each semester. If you cannot find the classes you need at UConn or wish to study part-time at another institution while enrolled at UConn you must submit the Concurrent Enrollment Authorization form and apply for permission to study at another school from ISSS.

Eligibility and Steps:

  • Students must review the Transfer Credit Information for current students before enrolling in another institution.
  • Students must apply for Concurrent Enrollment Authorization from ISSS and forward your class schedule from the other institution to your ISSS advisor.
  • Students need to maintain at least 50% enrollment at UConn during the semester they are concurrently enrolled. Students are only allowed to count one 3-credit online course towards their full-time enrollment.
  • In the last semester, if students need less than 12 credits to graduate, they cannot be enrolled 100% online or 100% at an outside university. Students must be enrolled in-person at UConn.
  • After the semester ends you MUST request the official transcript be sent to UConn.



Academic Support for International Students

Use the University’s Academic Resources – UConn provides many on-campus resources to help UConn student succeed academically. Visit the University Resources to learn about further academic resources at your campus.

Midterm Warning Resources regarding academic support, dropping classes, academic standing and emotional support and resources.