You must finish your program by the end date listed on your Form I-20 or DS-2019. If you need more time to complete your study in the U.S. you must request an extension of your program end date BEFORE your current end date.
- ISSS can extend your I-20 or DS-2019 end date only if you have unexpected academic circumstances or medical reasons.
- Request your extension at least one month before your I-20 or DS-2019 program end date, if you think you may not finish as planned.
- You may not request an extension of your document AFTER your program end date has already been reached.
- Support documents: You must submit updated funding documents with your extension request to document how you will meet your estimated expenses. You must submit an enrollment verification with your extension request. J-1 students must also complete a new Medical Insurance Confirmation record.
- Your academic advisor will need to complete an online recommendation as part of your extension request to confirm which classes or academic work you still need to complete, and your expected date of completion.
What to submit with your request:
- Financial Declaration Form and Proof of Funding
- Enrollment Verification from the Office of the Registrar
If you are not eligible for an extension, ISSS will notify you as soon as possible. If you are eligible for an extension a new Form I-20/DS-2019 will be issued to you with the new extended program end date.
Not all extension requests are granted. Each case will be carefully assessed for eligibility.