Step 2: Request I-20/DS-2019 Online

Freshman and transfer undergraduate students do NOT use this form.  Please follow the instructions on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions webpage to get your I-20/DS-2019.  All other students (graduate students, exchange, UCAELI, non-degree and readmitted undergraduates) follow these steps to request your Form I-20/DS-2019.


  1. Receive admission notification from  UConn.
  2. Receive two emails from UITS (University Information Technology Services) with your NetID and activation code within 3-5 business days after admission.
  3.  Activate your NetID.  Please contact if you do not receive your NetID information or have problems with activation.


Prepare the required documents listed below.  All documents must be named as “YOUR FAMILY NAME, your given name, your UConn ID#* – item name (e.g. SMITH, John, 1234567-Passport”.

*You will find your UConn ID after you log in to the I-20/DS-2019 Online Request Form.

  1. Copy of passport(s) (including your dependents’ passports).
  2. Copies of your current immigration documents (If you are currently in the U.S.).
  3. Completed and signed International Student Financial Declaration Form.
  4. One or combination of the financial documents prepared in Step 1.
  5. If you are in the U.S. with an F/J visa and will transfer your SEVIS record to UConn, complete the SEVIS Transfer Release Form with your current school’s DSO/ARO. You may upload the completed SEVIS Transfer Form with your I-20/DS-2019 Request OR your current school can send that to us directly. Please note that your Form I-20 will not be issued until after your chosen SEVIS release date.


Important Notes:

Graduate students: Your I-20/DS-2019 will only be issued after the Graduate School has received all required documents to finalize your admission status.  ISSS will try to process your form as quickly as we can, from the time you are matriculated and we have received a complete I-20/DS-2019 request packet to process your I-20/DS-2019. Processing time will depend on the volume of requests at the time we receive your application. Your academic program will mail you your Form I-20/DS-2019 along with your admission packet. Please make sure that your academic program has your up to date mailing address and phone number for this purpose. Questions? Visit the Graduate School’s International Student FAQ page.

Graduate Assistants: If your attendance at UConn depends on receipt of a Graduate Assistantship, please wait until you receive a Graduate Assistantship award letter from the academic department before submitting your I-20 request.

Timeline to apply for the Form I-20/DS-2019:

Exchange Students: Submit your DS-2019 request by June 1 for fall start or by December 1 for spring start.

If you are already in the U.S. on a visa: I-20/DS-2019 forms issued for change of status purpose must be requested at least 4 months before your program start date to change status within the U.S.  If you will travel abroad to change status please see deadline below.  The deadline for spring 2018 has already past.

All of students: Submit your I-20/DS-2019 request to ISSS by July 23 for fall start or by December 16 for spring start.