Before submitting an I-20/DS-2019 Request, prepare the following documents:
- UConn NetID and password. (Please contact email@example.com if you do not receive your NetID information or have problems with activation.)
Prepare electronic copies (.pdf or .jpg) of the required support documents listed below. All documents must be named as “YOUR FAMILY NAME, your given name– item name (e.g. SMITH,John – Passport).
- Copy of passport(s) for you and any accompanying family members who require F-2/J-2 visas.
- Completed and signed International Student Financial Declaration Form.
- Financial support documents to show you can meet estimated costs for first year of program.
- If you are currently in the U.S.: Copies of your current immigration documents (for example, I-20/DS-2019 if currently in F or J status, or I-94 with status expiration date, if holding another visa status).
- If you are in the U.S. with an F/J visa and will transfer your SEVIS record to UConn, complete the SEVIS Transfer Release Form with your current school’s DSO/ARO. You may upload the completed SEVIS Transfer Form with your online I-20/DS-2019 Request OR your current school can send that to us directly. Please note that UConn will not issue your new Form I-20 until after your SEVIS record is released by your current school.
Graduate students: Your I-20/DS-2019 will only be issued after the Graduate School has received all required documents to finalize your admission. ISSS will send you instructions on how to receive your I-20/DS-2019 after it is created. Questions? Visit the Graduate School’s International Student FAQ page.
Graduate Assistants: If your attendance at UConn depends on receipt of a Graduate Assistantship, please wait until you receive a Graduate Assistantship award letter from your academic department before submitting your I-20 request.
When to apply for the Form I-20/DS-2019:
Exchange Students: Submit your DS-2019 request by June 1 for fall term or by December 1 for spring term.
If you are already in the U.S. on a visa: I-20/DS-2019 forms issued for change of status purpose must be requested at least 4 months before the semester you wish to begin F-1/J-1 status. If you will travel abroad to change status, you will be issued a standard I-20/DS-2019 and should request by the deadline below. The deadline for fall 2018 is April 20.
All other students: Submit your I-20/DS-2019 request to ISSS at least one month before the semester that you will begin your program.
Student/Exchange Visitor Applicants Privacy Notice: