Update Your Address, Email and Phone Number

International Students on F or J Visas

Update your SEVIS Address in the ISSS Portal

Visa regulations require you to report your current Foreign Address and U.S. Address to the ISSS Portal for SEVIS. You must submit any address update within 10 days after changes. Your U.S. address must reflect where you physically reside. If you are outside the U.S. due to COVID or because you are home for break, you may list the ISSS address or your last U.S. address as your physical address.

Update Address in ISSS Student Portal

Students: Also Update Your Address in Student Admin for UConn

The University requires you to report your Mailing/Billing address and your Current Local address (where you are currently residing, can be in the U.S. or outside the U.S.). Login to studentadmin.uconn.edu to update these addresses in Student Center > Personal Information.

All Students need to keep accurate address and phone number information in Student Admin so that UConn has the most up to date information on where students are living.  Please see the IT Help Article  "Getting Started (Students)" for more information on how to update your address and phone number in Student Admin.

OPT and Academic Training (AT) Students

Graduated Students participating in post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT) must also report address changes to ISSS within 10 days of moving. Click the Update Address in ISSS Student Portal button to update your address in the ISSS Portal. 

Update Address in ISSS Student Portal

J-1 Visiting Scholars

(Short-term Scholar, Research Scholars, Visiting Professor etc.) All J-1 visiting scholars must report your U.S. and home country addresses to ISSS within 10 days after your address change. 

Please Login to the ISSS Scholar/Employee Portal with your email address and password (do not use your NetID to login).  

Click on the pencil icon next to “My Contact Information” to update your U.S. Physical Address, email address or CT phone number. Do not log in using your Net ID/Password.

J-1 Sponsored Students and Scholars

J-1 students and scholars sponsored by external organizations such as Fulbright, IIE, LASPAU or AMIDEAST should update their address information with UConn in Student Admin  (for students) by following the instructions above, and will need to notify their sponsoring agency of this change.  Visiting Research Students and Sponsored Visiting Scholars should

Updating your Email and Phone Number

You are also required to report a current valid phone number and email address. 

Update your email address or phone number by logging in to  Student Admin > Student Center > Personal Information. ISSS will also submit this updated information to SEVIS.

OPT Students: Your UConn email will disappear from Student Admin after you complete your degree.  If you want this email to continue reporting to SEVIS after graduation you should update your “Personal” email address in Student Admin to list your UConn email address and add your personal email, listed as another email category.

North American phone numbers

To format phone numbers for U.S., Canadian, and other NANP (North American Numbering Plan) countries in Student Admin, do NOT include the prefix “1” or use any parentheses or spaces.  Just list all ten digits with no spaces and Student Admin will format correctly for you when you save your information.  

Example - Type: 8605550132.  Student Admin will save as: (860) 555-0132

International phone numbers

To format phone numbers in non-NANP countries, include the country and area codes. In Student Admin or the ISSS Portal do NOT separate the groups of numbers with spaces. Do NOT insert a plus sign immediately before the country code.  See country code listings here.

*For ISSS purposes, please OMIT (+) and list Country Code in the field labeled Country in Student Admin. If changing your number from international to U.S. don’t forget to delete the country code. See below.

Screenshot of where to enter phone numbers in Student Admin.

How to Format U.S. Addresses

Living on Campus

Most UConn residence halls do not require a street address, just the room number and dorm name.  Follow these instructions to write your residence hall address correctly UConn Res Hall Addresses: Student Mail Services.

Living Off-Campus

U.S. addresses are written in a very specific format: With the house or building number and the street name first, then the apartment number.  The city, state and postal code (zip code) are written on a separate line. If you are unsure of your zip code you can confirm this on the U.S. Postal Services website.  If you are unsure of your official address ask your landlord or review the lease information for your apartment.

Address example

How to address envelope