J-1 Visa Eligibility

Academic and Professional Qualifications  

Your visiting scholar or research student must meet the qualifications for the intended exchange program, and meet visa qualifications outlined here

English Proficiency

Your exchange visitor must have adequate English to participate in the exchange program in an English language context, to meet daily living needs in the U.S. and to advocate for oneself if needed. 

If your exchange visitor’s first language is not English, English proficiency can be demonstrated through: 

  • An objective interview conducted in English in person or by video-conferencing, by the hosting faculty member. The date of the interview must be documented. 
  • By valid English proficiency test score that meets or exceeds the following standards: TOEFL – 79, IELTS – 6.5, CEFR – B2 if no teaching duties, C1 w/teaching duties, Duolingo – 100, PTE – 53 or higher. The exchange visitor must upload proof of the score. 
  • By signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school attesting to visitor’s English proficiency. A diploma from an English speaking University does not meet this requirement. 

Financial Requirements

Exchange visitors must demonstrate sufficient funding to meet their estimated living expenses in Connecticut for the duration of the program. 

Single exchange visitor: $2,590 USD/month

Exchange visitor and spouse: $4,000 USD/month

Accompanying children: $750 USD/month per child

Updated 10/25/2022.

Insurance Requirements

Exchange visitors must maintain insurance that meets the benefit requirements for the J-1 visa. Any accompanying dependents with J-2 visas must also meet insurance requirements, even if not in the U.S.  Proof of insurance is not required when submitting the request for the DS-2019, but will be required when the exchange visitor arrives and checks-in with ISSS.

Prior J-1 Program Participation

If your intended visitor was in any J status (J-1 or J-2) in the past 12 or 24 months, they might not be eligible to visit UConn on a J-1 visa. Please contact an ISSS advisor for further information.

J-1 Exchange Visitors Currently in the U.S. for another J-1 Program

Exchange visitors may be able to transfer from their current U.S. host institution to UConn to continue their exchange program. Contact an ISSS advisor for further information. 

Visitors Currently in the United States on Visas other than J-1

If your prospective scholar or research student is currently in the U.S. on a visa type other than J-1, please contact an ISSS advisor to determine eligibility for the J-1 exchange visitor visa.