New Scholars: Apply for a Visa

Applying for a U.S. Visa (video): CLICK HERE

In order to study full-time at UCONN you will need either an F-1 student or a J-1 exchange visitor visa. In order to get your visa you must make an appointment at the US Embassy or consulate in your home country.* Please visit the US Embassy  to find out more information or to schedule an appointment with the US Embassy or consulate in your home country.

*Exception: Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not need to apply for an F-1/J-1 visa in order to obtain F-1/J-1 status for study in the U.S.

Visa Appointment

When you make an appointment for a student visa you will need your SEVIS ID Number (N00XXXXXXXX) and UCONN’s SEVIS School Code BOS214F10146000** for F-1 students or Exchange Visitor Program Code P-1-00710 for J-1 students and scholars. Your SEVIS ID number is located in the upper right-hand corner of your Form I-20 or DS-2019. UCONN’s SEVIS School/Exchange Program Code is located in section 2 of your Form I-20 or DS-2019.

** Law School and Regional Campus students will have a different school code. Check section two of your I-20 document for your school code.

I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt

Please note that all students and exchange visitors applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa will need to complete Form I-901 and pay a SEVIS processing fee of US$200 for F-1 visas and US$180 for J-1 visas. You need to pay this fee before you go for your visa interview. This fee is required only for an F-1 or a J-1 principal visa holder and your F-2 or J-2 dependents do not need to pay this fee individually.  If you are applying for a visa renewal to come back to UCONN and your SEVIS ID Number has not changed since your last visa interview, you do not need to pay for this fee, either.

You will need to show receipt of payment when you apply for your student or exchange visitor visa. You can pay this fee three ways.

  1. The fee can be paid electronically by credit card by completing Form I-901 online. Please visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement  to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.
  2. The fee can be paid by mail using Form I-901 together with a check or money order drawn on a US bank and payable in U.S. dollars.
  3. Fill out the I-901 Fee form online and pay with cash at a Western Union.  Be sure to bring the payment coupon from the I-901 website to Western Union with you.  Be sure to bring the Western Union payment receipt to the embassy with you. Please visit this website for Western Union Quick Pay instructions and for more information about Western Union:

For more information on the SEVIS fee .

Visa Interview

When you go for your visa interview you will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • UCONN Acceptance/Invitation Letter
  • SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019, signed by UCONN and the F-1/J-1 visa applicant
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt
  • Valid Passport (at lease for 6 months into the future from your arrival date at the U.S.)
  • Financial documents (bank statement, bank letter, graduate assistantship offer letter)
  • Any other support documents listed on the website of the embassy where you apply for your visa. Be sure to visit the US Embassy to confirm any other required documents that may be necessary for the interview in your specific country

You may have to answer questions about your previous academic record, about why you want to study in the U.S. and about who will be supporting you financially. You should prepare yourself in advance to answer all of these questions. You may be asked to prove other information during your visa interview, such as proof that you will have health insurance while studying at UCONN, that you will have housing at the university, and proof of tuition payment before you are granted your visa. Students and scholars whose academic programs or research are deemed technologically sensitive may be subject to closer scrutiny of your academic or research plans, and should plan on extended visa processing times.

Visa Processing Delays

Students who are delayed in arriving at UCONN due to visa processing time must contact their academic department as well as Immigration Services to report your delay. We will work with you and your academic department to keep your immigration records up to date during any period of delay. Please be advised that delayed visa applications may require you to defer or even cancel your academic plans at UCONN.