New Students: What type of Visa should I apply for?

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) will determine which visa is appropriate for your academic program. F-1 Student Visa – The following students eligible to be sponsored by UConn for an F-1 visa:

  • Full-time matriculated students in approved degree/certificate programs
  • Full-time ESL students

You will receive a Form I-20 to apply for your F-1 visa.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa – Only the following students are eligible to be sponsored by UConn for a J-1 visa:

  • Exchange students who come to UConn under exchange agreements and through UConn Study Abroad Office
  • Students who receive government funding sponsorship that requires study with a J-1 visa;
  • Students who are currently in J-1 programs and eligible to transfer their SEVIS record to UConn

You will receive a Form DS-2019 to apply for your J-1 visa.