Dependent Employment

F-2 dependents may not work while in the United States. We also strongly discourage F-2 dependents from volunteering in labs at the University.

J-2 visa holders may apply to USCIS for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The EAD is a work permit card valid for certain dates. The J-2 visa holder may not apply for employment authorization for the purpose of financially supporting the J-1 visa holder. This application does not require prior authorization from ISSS. To apply for an EAD, the J-2 visa holder should submit the following documents to USCIS:

-Complete Form I-765. Use Eligibility Category (C)(5)( ). At this time, J-2 visa holders are not eligible to file their I-765 online.

-2 recent passport style photos (taken within last 30 days)

-Filing fee- $410 USD paid by check or money order to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

-Copy of the current DS-2019 for the J-1 and the J-2 visa holders

-Print outs or copies of the Form I-94 for the J-1 and J-2 visa holders

-Letter from the J-2 dependent stating why the employment is requested. This letter should state how the J-1 visa holder is supporting him/herself and confirms that the income from the employment will not be used to support the J-1 visa holder.

-Copy of the J-1 visa holder’s financial support documentation

– Copy of the marriage or birth certificate to document the relationship between the J-1/J-2 visa holder

Send all forms to the filing address listed according to the U.S. state where you live: