Current Scholars: Dependents

Request to Add Dependent(s) – For F-1 and J-1 Visa Holders

Request to Add Dependents

Dependent Status (F-2/J-2) Eligibility

  • Spouse who can document a legally recognized marital union
  • Child(ren) who are under 21 years old and not married
  • The purpose is to accompany the principal visa holder (F-1/J-1) in the U.S. while pursuing his/her program

Minimum Funding Required to Bring Family Members to The U.S.

If you wish to have your family members accompany you in dependent status (F-2/J-2) in the U.S., you must show adequate funds based on the following guidelines.  Please be advised that if your most current Form I-20/DS-2019 was issued more than one academic year prior, you need to show not only funds for your dependents to be added, but also the most current funds for yourself.

NOTE: Above required fund amounts provided in the link are estimated based on minimum living costs, not reflecting individuals’ spending habits or emergency expenses.

Required Documents for Your Request

Please provide International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) with the following information:

  • Present your current official financial documents (e.g. bank statements).  Funds need to meet the minimum requirements.  Your dependent will also need to have the official bank statement when they go to the Embassy to apply for their visa.

Bank statements must:

  • be no more than 3 months old.
  • be in English
  • be on financial institute’s letterhead (or must show formal identification of the financial institute, e.g. a print-out of online account management page).
  • have fund type of immediately available liquid funds (e.g. stock, investment, 401(k)/retirement plan, real estate, income verification, etc are NOT acceptable).
  • have principal or spouse as a bank account holder.

Photocopies of dependents’ passports

  • Please provide the following information requested for the dependents you wish to bring to the U.S.  Please note that all information must be consistent with the information in their passports.
  • If you need to receive Form(s) I-20/DS-2019 for your dependents in mail, include a pre-paid self-addressed express mailing slip.