ITIN Information

What is an ITIN?


ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number because you do not have employment or work authorization, but you need to file a U.S. tax return, then you can apply for an ITIN instead of an SSN.

Examples include:

  • Receiving taxable income from scholarships, gambling or interest earned on accounts.
  • Being claimed as a dependent on your spouse’s U.S. tax return
  • Claiming your dependent on your U.S. tax return (if eligible) – your dependent will need an SSN or ITIN.

Your ITIN may expire – please see the IRS ITIN webpage for further details and renewal instructions.

ISSS can assist you with the ITIN application process in most cases. To apply for an ITIN, the government or a designated agency needs to verify your original immigration documents. For F-1 and J-1 visa holders and their dependents, ISSS staff can verify your original documents for you.

However, if the IRS rejects your ITIN application, you may be required to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

To apply for an ITIN, visit ISSS during Walk In Advising hours and bring:

  1. Completed Form W-7
  2. Your original Passport and Form I-20/DS-2019
  3. If you have a scholarship, your scholarship award letter
  4. If requesting an ITIN for your F-2/J-2 dependent, their original passport and I-20/DS-2019

If eligible, ISSS will issue a letter verifying your documents and will provide you with a checklist of documents to submit with your application to the IRS.

After receiving your ITIN


Keep the record of your ITIN safe as you may need it for future tax return filing. Please report your ITIN in person to the UConn Bursar office. Do not report your ITIN to ISSS.