Money and Finances

Paying your Fee Bill

Undergraduate fee bills are issued by the Bursar’s Office in June for the Fall semester and are due August 1st.   Spring bills are issued in November and are due January 8th.

Graduate fee bills are issued in July for the Fall semester and in November for the Spring semester.  Graduate bills are due the Friday prior to the start of the semester.

You will be notified via email to your UConn email account when a bill has been issued.  Please note: Your fee bill will adjust with any changes in your credit level, housing, meal plans, and health insurance.  Your fee bill must be paid in full prior to attending Orientation (undergraduate students). Any student with a past due balance will not be able to adjust their class schedule until the balance is paid.

The University’s only approved and accepted method for international payments is Western Union GlobalPay for Students.  Payments can be sent in foreign currency or USD through a variety of options. To initiate payment, please go here:!/

Please note: You may only send payment for your fee bill to UConn.  Any funds required for personal living expenses must be sent directly to your personal U.S. bank account.  

Over-payments from international sources will be returned to the originating account and cannot be issued as a refund to the student.

For more information on the Bursar’s Office, including all accepted payment methods, please visit

Scholarships, Loans and Financial Assistance

International students are not eligible for UConn financial assistance based on economic need. This page contains additional financial resources for international students, as well as emergency funding resources in the event of unexpected hardship.

Scholarships and Awards


International students should check for educational loan programs in your home country. Educational loan companies in the U.S. may lend money to international students who study here, but most programs require a U.S. co-signer, who will be financially responsible if you cannot pay your loans. These loan providers are listed as a courtesy, and ISSS cannot vouch for their quality.

  • UConn Financial Aid: Suggested List of Alternative Loan Lenders
  • There are companies that offer loans to international students without a U.S. co-signer – some have a rigorous application and eligibility review process, but be careful about loans that offer easy money at high interest rates.
  • Organization of American States Interest-free loans for students from Latin American countries.

UConn Short Term Emergency Loans:

Dean of Students Office:  Short Term Emergency Loan Fund

Graduate Student Senate Short Term Emergency Loan

On Campus and Off Campus Employment Authorization

International students on F and J visas may work in on-campus positions up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. J visa holders require a special authorization letter from ISSS BEFORE you start working.

If your financial needs are unexpected and you cannot find an on-campus job, you may be eligible to apply for off-campus work authorization based on economic hardship. Make an appointment with your ISSS advisor for further information.

Other Assistance

UConn Financial Aid Office

Current students who are experiencing unexpected financial hardship should email and explain your circumstances, and your financial need.

UConn Students First Fund

The University has funding available through the Students First Fund to help meet student financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances. You can be nominated by staff/faculty, or you can self-nominate.  To self-nominate, send an email to with a description of the unforeseen circumstance, and what they need, OR schedule an appointment with a Dean of Students Assistant Dean – visit and click on the Schedule an Appointment button.

USCIS Humanitarian Benefits

USCIS occasionally provides opportunities for employment authorization in times of humanitarian need. These measures are generally based on world events of an extraordinary nature.

USCIS Humanitarian Benefits

International students and scholars should, in most cases, not accept any form of public benefits or government financial assistance. Doing so could jeopardize your eligibility for future visas or immigration benefits. As a nonimmigrant student, you are expected to have sufficient funding available for you and all family members.


Living in the United States can be very expensive, and it will be necessary to plan for your expenses and expected income. The University publishes each year an anticipated cost of attendance, and ISSS adapts this for international students on our Financial Requirements webpage. Your actual expenses may be much more, or much less, depending on where you live, your lifestyle and how often you travel. You may also have unexpected expenses depending on the season (for example, your winter heating bill, if you live off campus). Student will find that living expenses are much higher in the Stamford area than they are in other parts of the state, due to the proximity to New York City.   

The first few months in the United States will be your most expensive and you should plan to have extra money available to meet initial costs of establishing a home here, especially if you live off campus.

Need budgeting help? Check out these resources:

UConn Your Money Matters , which includes Budget Tools  


One of the first things that you will need to do upon arrival to the United States is open a bank account. There are many banks within walking distance of most UConn campuses.

Types of Accounts

Banks offer checking accounts and savings accounts. You will need to open a checking account to pay for your day to day expenses and bills. The checking account is usually free for students to open, and may or may not require you to keep a minimum dollar balance in the account. If you are a student, ask if they offer a student checking account. Scholars can open standard checking accounts.

Money can be withdrawn from your checking account several ways:

  • By visiting the bank and withdrawing cash from your account
  • By debit card, which is like a credit card that will link to your checking account and can be used to make purchases at stores or withdraw cash from ATMs.
  • Or by writing a check out to the person or business you are paying. If you live off-campus, you may need to write a check to pay your rent. If you need to mail a payment, never send cash, instead use a check. If you need help to write a check, ISSS staff can assist you.

Savings accounts are interest bearing. You might require a Social Security Number (SSN) to open a savings account. Ask your bank.

What to Bring to Open Your Account

  • Identity and immigration documents (passport, I-20/DS-2019, I-94 print out)
  • UConn Student ID card and admission letter (if you have one)
  • Social Security or ITIN number (if you have one)
  • Money to deposit

Students from some countries may have to wait a few days before your bank account can be finalized. Do not panic if this happens to you, but be sure that you have a way to access money in the meantime. After your bank account is set up, you should talk with your bank about the best way to transfer money from your home country, to the United States.

Direct Deposit

Students with Employment and Graduate Assistants: You will be asked to set up a Direct Deposit account with UConn payroll that will allow your paycheck to be electronically distributed to your bank account for withdrawal.