Important reminder for new UConn students!
All international students on F-1 and J-1 visas must complete the New Student To Do list and Submit Arrival Documents online in the ISSS Portal after arriving in the United States, when transferring to UConn from another school or when starting a new program at UConn.
The deadline to submit arrival documents is January 19, 2021.Failure to submit may result in the termination of your SEVIS record and I-20/DS-2019. This is a requirement of your student visa.
Remember – you must be enrolled in at least 1 in-person or hybrid class!
- Transfer-in & Change Education Level students need to Submit Arrival Documents, even if you did not leave the U.S. this winter.
- Graduate students approved for late arrival need to Submit Arrival Documents as soon as you arrive to campus.
- Change of Status Students should wait to submit arrival documents until your change of status is approved.
In order to “Submit Arrival Documents”, you will need to save certain documents in electronic format (.pdf or .jpg). These documents are listed below:
- Form I-20/DS-2019, signed by you at the bottom of page 1
- Passport biographical page
- Visa page in passport (unless you are from Canada/Bermuda)
- Entry stamp in passport (where immigration stamped upon entry, if applicable*)
- I-94 admission record. Print or screenshot your I-94 – select “Get Most Recent I-94”.
- Proof of Physical Presence in U.S. – Take a photo of yourself in front of a local CT street sign, your residence hall, or other CT landmark to prove you are physically in the U.S.
- If you have accompanying family on F-2/J-2 visas, you must prepare the same files for them.
If you take a picture of your documents with your smart phone to upload in the ISSS Portal, this is OK, but you must be sure they are clear and easy to read.
If your plans have changed and you will NOT study at UConn, please reply to this message immediately to let us know of your cancellation, and destroy the UConn Form I-20/DS-2019 (do not use it to enter the U.S.).
If you will not arrive to UConn for Spring 2021 semester, but will come for fall 2021, do not Submit Arrival Documents. Instead, complete the SEVIS Defer-Request to Update I-20/DS-2019 Start Date, if you have not already done so.
We want to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for your prompt attention after you arrive in the U.S.
For more information, contact: ISSS at email@example.com
Other stories from the Soapbox for Monday, December 2