Step 3: Apply for a Visa

Applying for a U.S. Visa (video)

In order to study full-time at UCONN you will need either an F-1 student or a J-1 exchange visitor visa. The visa application process starts with admission to UConn and requesting for Form I-20 or DS-2019. Students must also pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, and schedule an appointment at the US Embassy or consulate in your home country.*

Read through the information below to help you successfully schedule your visa appointment.

*Exception: Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not need to apply for an F-1/J-1 visa in order to obtain F-1/J-1 status for study in the U.S.

What type of Visa should I apply for?

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) will determine which visa is appropriate for your academic program.

F-1 Student Visa – The following students are eligible to be sponsored by UConn for an F-1 visa:

  • Full-time matriculated students in approved degree/certificate programs
  • Full-time ESL students

You will receive a Form I-20 to apply for your F-1 visa.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa – The following students are eligible to be sponsored by UConn for a J-1 visa:

  • Exchange students who come to UConn under exchange agreements and through UConn Study Abroad Office
  • Students who receive government funding sponsorship that requires study with a J-1 visa;
  • Students who are currently in J-1 programs and eligible to transfer their SEVIS record to UConn

You will receive a Form DS-2019 to apply for your J-1 visa

I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt

All F-1 or J-1 visaholders will need to complete Form I-901 online and pay a SEVIS processing fee (US$200 for F-1 visas and US$180 for J-1 visas). Students must pay this fee before their visa interview. This fee is required only for F-1 and J-1 principal visa holders. F-2 and J-2 dependents do not need to pay the SEVIS fee. If you are applying for a visa renewal and your SEVIS ID Number has not changed since your last visa interview, you do not need to pay for this fee again.

You will need to show receipt of payment when you apply for your student or exchange visitor visa. You can pay this fee two ways. 

  1. The fee can be paid electronically by credit card by completing Form I-901 online. Please visit to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.
  2. Pay with cash at a Western Union and bring the Western Union receipt or printed payment confirmation from the SEVIS I-901 Fee processing website to the embassy with you. Please visit the SEVIS I-901 website for information on how to pay by Western Union Quick Pay instructions and for more information about Western Union.

Visa Appointment

Please visit the US Embassy locator  to find out more information or to schedule an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your home country. In order to schedule an appointment for a student/exchange visitor visa you will need to prepare the following:

  • Your SEVIS ID Number and UConn's SEVIS School Code/Program Number
  • Fill out the DS-160 Form online
  • Schedule visa interview and pay any visa appointment fees per U.S. Embassy/Consulate instructions.

Your SEVIS ID Number (N00XXXXXXXX) and UCONN’s SEVIS School Code (BOS214F10146000, -001, 002, 003 etc.** for F-1 students) or Exchange Visitor Program Code (P-1-00710 for J-1 students and scholars) are located on your Form I-20/DS-2019. ** Law School and Regional Campus students will have a different school code. Check section two of your I-20 document for your school code.

Visa Interview

When you go for your visa interview you will need to bring the following documents with you:
UCONN Acceptance/Invitation Letter
SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019, signed by UCONN and the F-1/J-1 visa applicant
I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt
Valid Passport (at lease for 6 months into the future from your arrival date at the U.S.)
Financial documents (bank statement, bank letter, graduate assistantship offer letter)
Any other support documents listed on the website of the embassy where you apply for your visa. Be sure to visit the US Embassy to confirm any other required documents that may be necessary for the interview in your specific country
You may have to answer questions about your previous academic record, about why you want to study in the U.S. and about who will be supporting you financially. You should prepare yourself in advance to answer all of these questions. You may be asked to prove other information during your visa interview, such as proof that you will have health insurance while studying at UCONN, that you will have housing at the university, and proof of tuition payment before you are granted your visa. Students and scholars whose academic programs or research are deemed technologically sensitive may be subject to closer scrutiny of your academic or research plans, and should plan on extended visa processing times.

Late Arrivals – Visa Processing Delays

All students must arrive on-campus in time for International Student orientation or by the first day of classes at the latest.  

Students who cannot arrive by the first day of classes need to contact ISSS to report your delay.  Additionally students should notify their academic department and the Graduate School (for graduate students), the Dean of Students (for undergraduates) or Education Abroad (for incoming exchange students).  

Graduate School policy clearly states that, "Students must arrive on campus on or before the first day of classes in their admitted term."  If you cannot arrive in time for the start of classes you may need to defer your admission to the next available term or even cancel your academic plans at UCONN.  

If your arrival is delayed due to visa processing delays or administrative processing, please know there is nothing ISSS can do to influence the outcome or speed of administrative processing.  Please see our Administrative processing information on our Travel Abroad page.