Health Insurance for International Students

Medical care in the United States is very expensive. Therefore, the University requires all students to have adequate medical insurance while at UConn. In addition, if you are on a J-1 or J-2 visa, the U.S. government requires you to maintain insurance that meets specific coverage requirements.

International Students

Most full-time students at Storrs and regional campuses are automatically enrolled in the UConn sponsored insurance plan. However, some UConn programs are exempt from the automatic enrollment. You should check your UConn fee bill to see if you have a charge for the insurance. The University sponsored insurance plan is effective from August 15. If your program did not enroll you, and you wish to enroll in the University sponsored plan, please call UConn Student Health Services at +1-860-486-4535.
If you have health insurance through your family or your home country that you prefer to use, you must complete a Health Insurance Waiver online. More information on this can be found here. The waiver is available to complete between June 1 and September 15. For spring semester, it must be completed by February 5. ISSS strongly recommends that you enroll in the University sponsored student plan, as it offers comprehensive coverage and can easily be used at Student Health Services (Storrs campus only). You must remember to print your insurance ID card online.
For further details, please see UConn Student Health Services.

Graduate Assistants

UConn Graduate Assistants (GA) may purchase subsidized insurance through the Connecticut Partnership Plan as part of your Graduate Assistantship benefits. Visit the HR website for more information or to enroll in Graduate Assistant medical insurance through the Connecticut Partnership Plan. You will not be enrolled in the University sponsored insurance plan. This insurance plan is effective starting the second month after you begin your GAship. Therefore, for Fall GA starters, the plan becomes effective September 1, and for Spring GA starters the plan becomes effective February 1. You will need to purchase insurance that will cover you from the time you arrive, until your insurance becomes effective. You may elect to purchase short-term coverage (one month) of the UConn student sponsored insurance plan, as a visiting scholar. Enrollment information can be found here .

Students on J-1 Visas

If you are on a J-1 visa, you and any J-2 accompanying dependents are required to have insurance coverage meeting requirements set by the U.S. Department of State. This is to ensure that in the event of health problems or an emergency, you will have the proper coverage to meet your expenses.

Medical Benefits Minimum – $100,000 per accident illness
Repatriation of remains  – Minimum $25,000
Medical evacuation to home country –  Minimum $50,000
Deductibles not to exceed per accident/illness –  $500

The UConn student sponsored insurance plan meets the J-1 visa requirements for insurance.
If you have the GA insurance plan through Connecticut Partnership Plan, you must also purchase supplemental insurance to cover repatriation of remains and medical evacuation.

If you do not choose to enroll in the UConn sponsored insurance plan or GA insurance plan, your insurance plan must meet the above benefit requirements, and must be:

1) Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of “A−” or above; a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A−” or above; a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B + ” or above; a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of “A−” or above; a Moody’s Investor Services rating of “A3” or above; or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify
2) Backed by the full faith and credit of your home country government

If you obtain your own insurance, you are responsible to determine whether it meets the above benefit and plan eligibility requirements. ISSS cannot verify this for you. Therefore, we strongly encourage all J-1 students to maintain the UConn sponsored insurance plan, or GA plan plus supplemental coverage, if you have a Graduate Assistantship.

Insurance for Dependent Family Members

It is very important that your accompanying family members also have insurance coverage. You can enroll your dependents in both the UConn sponsored insurance plan for full time students, and through the UConn GA insurance plan. It is important that you enroll them in this insurance at the same time that you enroll; it can be difficult to enroll dependents for benefits after you have already started the plan, and usually requires a life-event to occur (e.g. birth of child, dependent’s loss of coverage).

If you are on a J-1 visa, you are responsible to obtain insurance for your J-2 visa holders that meets the same standards as required for J-1 visa holders. This coverage is required through the program dates on the Form DS-2019, even if your dependent is not in the United States.

Please note that the State of Connecticut Husky Insurance program is not intended for enrollment by family members of international students and scholars. This program is state-funded and intended to provide low income children with healthcare coverage; all international students and scholars are required to demonstrate in advance that they have sufficient financial resources to support their stay in the United States for themselves and all family members.

Affordable Care Act

All international students and scholars, including dependent family members, may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act, which is a law designed to support health care coverage of all individuals in the United States. For more information, please see U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and this article explaining the ACA to international students and scholars.