If you need more time to complete your period of study/research in the U.S. you must request an I-20/DS-2019 Extension BEFORE your current I-20/DS-2019 expires. Submit the following documents to ISSS:
- I-20/DS-2019 Extension Request Form
- Financial Declaration Form and Proof of Funding
- Full time enrollment verification, which you request from the UConn Registrar
(regional campus students with no Registrar office may call the Storrs campus registrar to have this mailed)
- Proof of Medical Insurance (J-1 Students Only)
Your academic advisor must indicate the unexpected academic reason for your extension and you will need to show proof of funding to cover the additional period of extension.
Please request your extension one month before your current I-20/DS-2019 end date. An ISSS advisor will review your request and if appropriate will grant your extension. If you are not eligible for an extension ISSS will notify you as soon as possible. If you are eligible for an extension a new Form I-20/DS-2019 will be issued to you with the new extended program end date. Not all students are eligible for an I-20/DS-2019 extension.
Not all extension requests are granted. Each case will be carefully assessed for its eligibility.
Grace Period & Departure
Before departing the University of Connecticut, all F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors need to submit a Departure Notice to International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) so that we may accurately update your SEVIS record and archive your file.
Upon completing your degree your I-20/DS-2019 will be updated to reflect the new program end date. If your Form I-20/DS-2019 is valid into the future, please note your I-20/DS-2019 will be shortened to the date when you actually completed your degree or exchange visitor program.
All F-1 visa holders have a 60-day grace period to stay in the U.S. after their program ends. All J-1 visa holders have a 30-day grace period to stay in the U.S. after their program ends. While on your grace period you may:
- Prepare for departure from the U.S.
- Travel within the U.S.
- Obtain another Form I-20/DS-2019 from another program at UCONN
- Transfer to another school to start a new program*
- Apply for OPT or Academic Training**
If you will transfer to another school, please see SEVIS Transfer information below.
* J-1 students must transfer their SEVIS record out to the new school before their DS-2019 program end date.
** J-1 students must apply for Academic Training before their DS-2019 program end date.
If you are leaving the U.S. …
Please complete the Departure Notice and return it to our office as soon as possible.
Please remember to save all of your Forms I-20/DS-2019. You might need them in the future! ISSS will only maintain your file up to 3 years after your F-1/J-1 program with UConn ends.
Students on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT):
UConn students who have graduated and are on post-completion OPT or AT are subject to the same 60 day (F-1) or 30 day (J-1) grace period following completion of your training, as well as transfer-out regulations. You must also submit a departure notice and if applicable, transfer out paperwork to ISSS upon completion of your training so that we may update your SEVIS record and archive your file.
UConn students who have been maintaining status and have been admitted to a new program of study may request to transfer their SEVIS records to their new school if they meet the following requirements
- F-1 students must request ISSS to transfer your SEVIS record within 60 days following your program completion date (date of degree completion or date of post-completion OPT completion).
- J-1 students must request ISSS to transfer your SEVIS record BEFORE your DS-2019 end date.
- If you start a new program without completing your current academic semester at UConn (withdrawal mid-program), you must request ISSS to transfer your SEVIS record immediately following last day of attendance.
- F-1 students must begin the new academic program in the next available start term, no later than 5 months after completing program/last day of attendance. F-1 students who are eligible for an annual vacation may take that vacation provided their new program will begin within 5 months of program completion.
- J-1 Students: Please make an appointment with your International Advisor to determine transfer out eligibility and procedures. This must happen well in advance of their program end date.
Submit the following documents to ISSS front desk to request that your SEVIS record be transferred out to a new school:
- A copy of your admission letter from the new school
- SEVIS Transfer Form from your new school or email confirmation that there is no SEVIS transfer form.
- A completed Departure Form – be sure to list your requested SEVIS Transfer Release Date on your Departure Form.
Points to remember:
- UConn will not have access to your SEVIS record after your transfer release date.
- Remember, you may not be employed by UConn after your SEVIS transfer release date or program end date, whichever comes earlier.
- You may not work using on-campus employment after your I-20 end date or SEVIS transfer release date (whichever comes first).
- Any CPT or OPT will end immediately on the SEVIS transfer release date.
- You may not continue to study at UConn after your SEVIS transfer release date.
You may cancel your transfer request up to the day before your transfer release date by contacting ISSS. Please be sure that you have made your decision to attend the transfer school BEFORE requesting to transfer your SEVIS record.